Sunday, April 15, 2012

Need Gift Suggestions for Danish Friends

I%26#39;ll be returning to visit friends in the Copenhagen area. I thought it might be appropriate to bring a gift, or gifts to those I visit. Can anyone provide information on what makes for good gifts to bring?





To add, where I live there is a chocolate company that makes really good chocolates, and are generally good gifts. I suppose I could bring a box of chocolates, but I am still interested in ideas. I always have a hard time getting ideas of what to buy my own family let alone old friends that I don%26#39;t see very often. Therefore, I thought I might ask here if anyone can suggest some good gift ideas to bring to my Danish friends. Thank you.




|||



I%26#39;m sorry but I have no idea. Just wanted to mention that Anthon Berg in Copenhagen makes some of the very best chocolate that I%26#39;ve ever tasted. Needless to say, I know absolutely nothing about your local chocolate company, but can only say that I have never had any chocolate here in the USA that comes remotely close in quality to Anthon Berg. (Our Danish friends here on the Forum might be too polite to point this out...!).





Is there anything else locally where you live that you could bring?




|||



Woaw - that%26#39;s a tough one right there - I don%26#39;t even know what to buy for my own friends and family!



But if You could find something special from Your own homearea to take, that would be best, I think.



Now, I don%26#39;t know anything about Your friends and their taste, so it%26#39;s really hard to come up with a qualified answer to this one.



And even IF I knew them I would probably be as blank anyways - sorry....




|||



I think chocolates would be well received, particularly if they%26#39;re superb as you describe. It%26#39;s fun to bring gourmet gifts from the US, because oftentimes people in Europe still labor under the stereotype that food in the United States is really bad, when the reality is quite the opposite nowadays.





You could also bring something more esoteric or something that%26#39;s native to Ohio, but some Danish people can be quite conservative with what they%26#39;re willing to try. There are often differences in favorite tastes worldwide. Peanut butter candy by and large is strange to Danes, whereas Danish salted licorice often horrifies Americans! I%26#39;m pretty sure the gourmet cranberry sauce I bought my in-laws in 2003 has remained unopened, whereas they%26#39;ve used the maple syrup, having tasted that before.





One last suggestion: if your hosts are into beer at all, bring a selection of hard to find microbrews from your area. Many of my Danish friends send me off to the US with a list of very special US brews whenever I plan a trip back home! (Three Floyds is actually from Indiana, but it%26#39;s beer heaven to beer enthusiasts: http://ratebeer.com/brewers/three-floyds-brewing-company/231/)




|||



Regarding the box of chocolates I can bring. There are two types, one is chocolates with creams in the center, and the other is one with nuts and caramels. Which might Danes prefer? I can also get a box of mix, both nuts and caramels, and creams. However, I myself prefer the nuts and caramels. Also, I can get milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or mix. Again, what might a Dane prefer? Me, I prefer the dark, and I tend to give gifts of what I prefer, but perhaps I should get what the receiver wants. :-)





Tak/Thanks




|||



Mmmm, I%26#39;d vote for the dark chocolate as well.





I think it%26#39;s a safer bet to get a mixture, though, so they can decide which they like the best. The caramel nut sounds delicious.




|||



We are traveling soon to visit family in Denmark. In years past, we brought peanut butter (crunchy) for those that missed it from the states. My mother%26#39;s cousin craves Napa wines he can%26#39;t get in Denmark. Denmark makes great beer - no real wine. Chocolate - well, a local kind from the USA is certainly fantastic. Just think of what is special to us and not available to those in Denmark. I used to bring US candy - but, most are now available in Denmark. I just brought jams and honey from Ireland - just a little gifts back to the USA. Have fun.




|||



You could also bring stuff like T-shirts, baseball caps, baseballs, baseball bats (if any kids in the family) ... you can buy it here but it is much more expensive.





If I was to have a gift from a freind from US, I would be very happy for anything thats %26quot;real%26quot; american...anything from chili sauce to rootbeer, blue popcorn or nasa coffee cup.... yeah.. we love that tourist stuff too :-D





rgs.



John




|||



Oh - I forgot! We always send bbq sauces home for family! That really is well received! With the internet they even let me know which ones to bring since they can check out the various types/versions of these sauces. One cousin loves Masterpiece. My daughter leaves in one week. We are in the process of selecting gifts too. American candy (like Mars + Hershey) can be tricky since many are available to Danes - but, some are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment