Thursday, April 12, 2012

And for something quirky - what would you suggest?

Helloo all





I have been reading with interest all about Copenhagen and will be visiting from 25th August for 3 full days - either side of a Nordic Cruise.





I have my guide book, have booked into the Bethel (#2 recommended here) and have printed off the Metro and transport link pages, so hopefully am pretty prepared.





I am planning on visiting as many of the tourist sites including the Carlsberg brewery to keep hubbie happy.





However, I would like to see something that would be a little quirky - does anyone have any suggestions? Quirky doesn%26#39;t mean naughty! Just some little place off the beaten track that is not the norm. I love shopping, so it could even be a local market.....







Also, whilst I am here and you are all so helpful, if you had to recomment top 3 restaurants to visit, what would be your choice (on a moderate budget?) I think the Paul is out of the range. Would love to try traditional fare.





Thank you in advance.



Lisa




|||



Hi Lisa,





A traditional kitchen experience is a bit difficult to find for dinner. But for lunch there are a good variety. The traditional Danish lunch (smørrebrød - open faced sandwiches) is a must, and needs to be washed down with beer and aquavit. At the most popoluar places table reservation is essential:



Try my 2 favorites:



Husmanns Vinstue: www.husmannsvinstue.dk



Kanal Caféen: www.kanalcafeen.dk





Of places to visit I would recommend you a visit to the free town of Christiania in the middle of Copenhagen. Very nice and a bit alternative. The area of Vesterbro is very central as well, and is dotted with many small and different shops as well as small and good restaurants.





If you have the time and if you%26#39;re into arts and museums you must visit the beautiful museum of Louisiana an hour by train noth of Copenhagen:



www.louisiana.dk





Enjoy your stay.





Rgds Anders




|||



Good advice above. Although I would say restaurants with traditional Danish dishes for dinner are plentiful. However, due to the climate, traditional Danish dinner dished are - traditionally - quite heavy and thus perhaps not best suited for summertime.





Kanalcaféen is a good recommendations. Especially for summertime since they have outside seating by the canal. Seating outside is limited so I would suggest passing by the day before or around 11 on the same day to reserve a table. Normal Danish lunch-time between 12:30 to 13:30





If you want to try Danish dinner, check out Toldbod Bodega on Esplanaden.




|||



Hi





Many thanks Anders %26amp; Dontomas - great advice which I will be taking up.





Thank you for taking the time to reply.





Kind regs



Lisa




|||



I personally find Christiania more depressing than quirky these days.





But I know opinions differ.





My suggestion would be a stroll down Værnedamsvej on the border between Vesterbro and Frederiksberg.





It%26#39;s a short little street full of interesting shops and a few fun places to stop for coffee, wine or a beer.





It%26#39;s also home to the lovely Les Trois Cochons which is a brasserie style restaurant that serves good, cheap but not very Danish food.





It%26#39;s like a tiny slice of Paris in Copenhagen but with a Danish feel.





If you are up to a bit of walking it%26#39;s a nice stroll first along Vesterbrogade, then down Værnedamsvej - and a stoll up Tullingsgade and then back into town along Gl. Kongevej where you pass the southern end of the three lakes in Copenhagen.




|||



Thank you Andrea





Very kind of you to suggest, I will add to my list of things to do.





Kind regards to all





Lisa




|||



Hi





We are thnking of going in October and love the location of the Bethel. Can you please tell me how you booked this hotel and can you do it online. Don%26#39;t speak a word of Danish





Many thanks





Penny




|||



I guess you can book via email: info@hotel-bethel.dk





Don%26#39;t worry about speaking Danish, you will manage with English in Copenhagen.





Hans




|||



Hi Penny





Hans beat me to it!





Yes, I booked direct and emailed the hotel. I must say that the staff at the hotel were extremely pleasant and helpful - replying promptly to my emails and queries.





Here is the website: http://www.hotel-bethel.dk/



and their prices quoted:





Single





Standard room







645,- DKK





Large room







845;- DKK





Double





Standard room







845,- DKK





Large room







945,- DKK





Extra





Extra bed







200,- DKK







I did a lot of research of area and which hotel to choose and thought the Bethel fitted the bill in all areas!





Good luck if you decide to book, I will write a review upon my return.





Lisa




|||



Hans %26amp; Lisa





Thanks for your help. I will be interested to read your review Lisa





Have a great time





Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment