Thursday, April 12, 2012

9 days in scandinavia - travel help

I have about 9 days to tour Denmark, Sweden %26amp; Norway, but admit it is real challenging (probably foolhardy). I%26#39;m having trouble deciding where to go and what to do.





Q1: 3 days in each country is probably crazy... especially if I wanna make a trip to Legoland - would I probably would have to sacrifice that idea :(





Q2: How does one travel between Denmark / Sweden and Norway - by plane or train or ferry? What is the most convenient, yet inexpensive mode of transport between these countries?





Bonus question: I%26#39;ll be travelling with my wife. We both would like to see the Fjords in Norway - but again time might be a factor. I post this here, but I%26#39;ll also ask in the Norway forums.





Thanks in advance.






|||



Wow, you really want to cover a lot of territory! Well, there%26#39;s the %26quot;ideal%26quot; and there%26#39;s the %26quot;possible%26quot;. What you%26#39;re thinking of is not ideal, but if that%26#39;s what you want to do it%26#39;s certainly possible. A couple of quick thoughts:





Denmark:



One day for Legoland. Then take the train to Copenhagen, arriving late evening. You could then have two full days in Copenhagen which will give you time to see everything.





Sweden:



Not sure what you want to see, but you could take the X2000 express train from Copenhagen to Stockholm. Five hours. You%26#39;ll then get a nice glimpse of the Swedish countryside, and you%26#39;re going to be very comfortable on the train.



Two full days in Stockholm - again enough to see all the important sights.





You could then fly, or take the train, to Oslo. Spend a day there. Not that much time, but will give you enough time to see what you want to see. (The Norwegians on the Norway Forum may recommend more, but I%26#39;m fairly familiar with Oslo. Used to live there). Suggest train to Bergen, so you get to enjoy the scenery. And then one day for a trip to the Fjords.





A very busy schedule, and not one that I would recommend, but again, it can be done!




|||



hawaiipalms - thanks for the reply.





I think I may give Sweden a miss - or at least just visi Malmö which I think could be a day trip via train from Copenhagen - please correct me if I am wrong.





And if I am missing nice castles in Sweden - stop me right there :)







If I drop the big Sweden visit, that would then give me more time in Norway - specifically Bergen %26amp; maybe te Flaam line.





Now I need to figure out if I should even give Oslo a miss, and just jump straight to Bergen.





I%26#39;m perhaps a nature lover and big cities all look the same to me. Granted museums are interesting, and places of interest might perk my curiousity, but I would need a big enough attraction to encourage me. Sorry maybe it%26#39;s just me.




|||



Well, that may not be a bad idea (to skip Stockholm). And a day trip to Malmö would be very easy (and how could I not recommend that? That%26#39;s where I was born...). Trains from Copenhagen to Malmö run every 20 minutes and take half an hour. Central Malmö is all walking distance. The Turning Torso is about a mile away from the train station (but sort of in the opposite direction of the downtown area). If you%26#39;re not familiar with The Turning Torso, google it for info and photos. A VERY unique building.





You could take the night ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo. Easy way to travel. Beautiful way to arrive in Oslo, coming up thru the Oslo Fjord in the early morning. And plenty of places to visit in Oslo (but you should get that info on the Norway Forum). I would definitely recommend spending a day or two in Oslo before proceeding to Bergen. (Again, how could I not - Oslo is one of my favorite cities! Lived there for a while!).




|||



wow! thanks so much for the Turning Torso tip! didn%26#39;t know such a building existed :)





will certainly try to see if travelling by night ferry is acceptable to the missus.





again thanks so much for your help and advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment