Sunday, April 15, 2012

Food to try in Copenhagen

I will be in Copenhagen for 3 days in August and am wondering what foods I should try while there. This will be my first trip ;)




|||



You may find inspiration on eating and drinking in Copenhagen here:



visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/…restaurants





Things that you should miss are a hotdog from a hotdog stand, real Danish pastry and %26#39;smørebrød%26#39; (open sandwiches).





Hans




|||



I would also suggest many of the pickled fishes here. Many of the places we have eaten at have offered dinner platters with many types of pickled and prepared fishes. I fould many of them to be quite delicious.




|||



I agree on the Smørrebrød. Thats a must eat.





You should also try a danish hotdog





tulip.dk/NR/…Alverdens_dansk.jpg





You find them in %26quot;pølsevogne%26quot; (hotdog stands) all over Copenhagen.





http://natmad.homepage.dk/1.JPG




|||



I agree on trying a hotdog. I just got back from DK and must have had a French hotdog every other day. Also try the remoulade as a condiment with fish or sausages or fries. You can get it almost anywhere. It is a Danish creation not to be confused with %26quot;remoulade%26quot; from the US. I am pregnant and my husband swears this baby will be yellow from all the remoulade I ate. :-)




|||



Thanks for the great responses!



Any tips on good desserts to try there? Are they big tea or coffee drinkers?




|||





A traditional dish that I love, but then I%26#39;m norwegian, is pickled herring. (Marineret sild)



Do try it. There are many good lunch restaurants in Copenhagen who serves it. I can recommend Restaurant St Annae at St Annae Plads.



restaurantsanktannae.dk/240-235-menu---in-en…





To go with the herring, you should have %26quot;snaps%26quot; (aquavite) and beer.





Dessert?



I dont know if this is what you ment by dessert, but at cafe La Glace at Skoubogade 3 (three steps from main shopping street Strøget), they have some delicious layer cakes. Their Sportskage (Sportscake) is one of my favourites.



Have a look at their webpage, and you can click at the pictures of their different cakes (assortement), and you can see and read what each consists of.



A very nice place with for a good cup of coffee or tea.





http://www.laglace.dk/eng





Enjoy!




|||



One of the highlights of my trip was drinking a fabulous latte in a cafe in Nyhavn. I do think coffee and tea are big in DK, at least it is with my Danish in laws.





As for dessert, the cakes are unique and delicious. I know there are cakes that are Danish creations. A lot of them contain fruit in some way. The pastries are to die for. You will forever laugh at the pathetic %26quot;danish%26quot; we get in the states. You must also try soft ice which you can get at kiosks all over. It is soft serve ice cream served in a cone or Belgian waffle. I like it dipped in the fine powder chocolate they



offer.







Something else that I think Danes love to eat is liver pate. It differs frm French pate. My 2 yr old son loves it. They eat it on rye bread. I also think you can find it on almost any menu. Not sure of the spelling, but I think it%26#39;s called liverpostej.




|||



The coffee here is hit and miss. In the restaurants I have generally found the coffee disappointing, but there are some good coffee bars around (Baresso is the main chain, but the best coffee is in the small independent coffee bars). In the centre of town I like The Living Room, not far of Strøget.



Bakery products here are fantastic - have not had a bad piece of cake yet. For good, enormous (yet expensive) cake go to Cafe Norden on the little square with the fountain on Strøget. They often have a raspberry cake which is fantastic.




|||



These responses are fantastic!! Thank you all so very, very much :))




|||



My daughter is leaving soon with her, MorMor, Danish for Mother%26#39;s Mother.....La Glace is a MUST.....my own great grandmother went there.....I recommend it to everyone who goes to Copenhagen...It is a coffee shop and the cakes are simply the best. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment