Sunday, April 15, 2012

Asking opinions on which city to visit

Hello, I really hate to ask a question like this, but here it goes.



I am taking a trip in September, and for the last two days I can%26#39;t decide which city to visit. I am deciding between Copenhagen and Helsinki. Both are cities I m very interested in seeing. I will be coming from Prague on a Thursday, and will be flying home on Sunday. Now my main question is, witch only two days which city will I get more out of in two days. Money is somewhat a factor, but I%26#39;m figuring that the cost will be pretty much in the same range.



Also if this does make a difference, I am a female traveling alone.



I thank anybody for any input. (this is also being posted in the Helsinki forum)




|||



I would be interested in seeing what points they would make in the Helsinki forum to argue that Helsinki would be a more interesting place to visit than Copenhagen.





I could understand if you had trouble deciding between Copenhagen on one side and perhaps Stockholm or Amsterdam on the other side.





But between CPH and Helsinki, its a no contest. Copenhagen has more life, better food, more attractions, is closer, bigger, funner, warmer, more hip, more quaint, more...





I really don%26#39;t know what to mention as Helsinkis advantage. Yes, Finnish people are generally nice, but then so are Danes... Will be checking the Helsinki forum to learn something for next time someone asks.




|||



That is why I posted in the two forums. I wanted to see what the different opinions are between the two. As of right now (especially since both are cities I really want to visit) its going to have to depend on the costs of flights from prague to one of the cities. Thanks for your input!




|||



Okay, well, if my post did not persuade you, it is your money and vacationtime. To me Helsinki is one of the most borring capitals in Europe. Pretty much only surpassed by Oslo and perhaps Belfast.





As for travelling as a single female, Copenhagen and Helsinki (along with all the other nordic capitals) are probably the safest cities you can find in the world.




|||



I agree with DonTomas. Would definitely go for CPH!




|||



Actually looking further into my research I think I will be switching to Copenhagen. I was figuring on saving the Copenhagen trip for when I had more days to spend there, but with the rest of my trip it looks like DK will work out best. Thank you all for your information!




|||



I admit I sneaked into the Finnish forum just to see if they were kinder to Copenhagen, than we have been to Helsinki.





That%26#39;s not the case ;)





But I%26#39;ll admit, I do not find Helsinki as boring or uninteresting as the previous people replying to your question.





I do however find it very much more like Prague than any of the other Nordic capitols.





I personally do not think Helsinki is nordic at all, but more with a central european flavour.





As for safety you are equally safe both places - and that is completely safe.




|||



Good to see that you%26#39;ve decided to visit Copenhagen - it is my fave city of the two ;o)





Having visited Helsinki I can only agree that Copenhagen is much more, but I actually liked Helsinki, and it would%26#39;ve been an okay choice. Cph is better of course.





What are you going to see in Cph?




|||



Just to add for others%26#39; future reference, my opinion, since you%26#39;ve already made your decision, it appears:





Helsinki is interesting because it IS totally FOREIGN feeling; I agree it feels more like a central/eastern European/Russian city (reflecting its history and its Finnish language origins: it is NOT, correctly speaking, a Scandinavian country although Swedish is spoken by a smallish minority) and %26quot;grey%26quot; comes to mind whenever I think of the buildings and atmosphere. (But I really enjoyed, and preferred, a day trip I took from there via hydrofoil across the Baltic to %26quot;little medieval European town%26quot;-atmosphere Tallinn, Estonia.)





Helsinki IS harder to get to, and feels isolated and %26quot;tucked up there%26quot; by Russia, so if you get the chance, I%26#39;d do it on this trip 1)only because you WANT to see the city, 2) when you%26#39;re already almost there and 3)only have limited time anyway (since I can%26#39;t think of anything I%26#39;d recommend to do except see the Church in the Rock and I understand Savonlinea (spelled wrong; island in the harbor) is nice), and save more centrally-located, easier to get to, attractive and %26#39;lots to do%26#39; Copenhagen for when you have more time.





Stockholm is also WONDERFUL! even though it%26#39;s not one of the 2 cities you really want to see, just thought I%26#39;d throw that option in too.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, July 30, 2009


|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. At this time, posts on the TripAdvisor forums cannot be edited, but the author of a post may request that it be removed. This allows the author to repost the message if desired.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Removed on: 10:57 am, July 30, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment