Sunday, April 15, 2012

Copenhagen

We will be in Copenhagen for two days in August. I read about the CHP card postings. It is still worth it as the trip from the airport to the center of the city alone is $40.00. Also I understand this card gives discount at various restaurants.





Question: Given such a short time of our stay can anyone give me some idea about what is really worth seeing in Copenhagen in these two days? We do not want to go Tivoli as I am told that it is a smaller version of Disney. We will be staying at the center of the city and would like to use public transport as much as possible.





Thanks.




|||



Just a quick note - the trip form the airport to the city center is not 40$ a person - I don%26#39;t know where you got that idea.





The cost per person is maximum $7 - and can be a lot less if you buy a clip card to share between a group of people.












|||



The cruise ship sent us approximate fares from the airport to the center of city as 200 DKK.by taxi.





What is a clip card? I wrote to the tourist board in Copenhagen. They were as useful as a three dollar bill with Bill Clinton%26#39;s face on it!I guess they don%26#39;t welcome any tourists.What a shame.




|||



The CPH card, which you mentioned, includes all train, metro, and busses. Taxis, however, are not covered by the CPH card.





A clip card is a travel card that anyone can buy upon arrival; it is usually cheaper to use a clip card vs. paying the full price for a ticket each time. The price varies depending on how many zones you need.





I would not equate Tivoli as a smaller version of Disney; maybe a small child would say that at some basic level. I recommend you visit after dark for a stroll and a beer or coffee.





Staying in the center of Copenhagen, you will likely need transport only from airport to hotel, hotel to cruise, and cruise back to airport. It is a bit of a hike from the center to Mermaid, but you can always take a boat tour from Nyhavn which includes the Mermaid on it%26#39;s tour. Also consider renting bicycles--the best way to get around Copenhagen.





With 2 days, I suggest these highlights:



Nyhavn and a boat tour, Rosenborg Slot, Marble Church, Amelienborg, Carlsberg Brewery tour and tasting, Stroeget and Round Tower, Tivoli at night, Christiania during the day. Plan B: Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, Danish Design Museum, Resistance Museum, Workers Museum, Zoo, Botanical Gardens.




|||



If Tivoli is a smaller version of Disneyland, then Atlanta is a smaller version of Tokyo. It%26#39;s almost like comparing apples and oranges. Tivoli is as much for adults as it is for kids. A summer night stroll in Tivoli is as romantic as anything. And not 1/100 as comercialized and overenergenic and exaggerated as Disneyland/world.





Tivoli is from 1843. Its on a plot of land in the center of the city, thus it can%26#39;t grow and there is no huge parket lot next to it. There is no Mickey Mouse, no Cinderella. Nothing reminiscent of Disney at all.




|||



Thaanks for the info. This should help to cler up some of the info I received from a few of our past visitors.




|||



Holy cow. Hearing a comparison of Tivoli to Disney made me want to vomit. My heart races at such a thought. Tivoli is intimate, beautiful beyond description, and utterly charming. The gardens are breathtaking. It is incredibly romantic at night. I have never experienced anything like it. I make it a point to go at least twice (day and night) during my twice yrly visits. I wouldn%26#39;t miss beloved Tivoli for anything. BTW- everytime I do go, it%26#39;s a totally different park. The gardens have changed to suit the season.




|||



It is so interesting to read all your discussions. We will have a cruise trip in Aug., and will stay in CPH for one day after cruise. We%26#39;ll definitely visit Tivoli. Thanks.



One question here. We are going to have about six hours in CPH before cruise. We plan to store our luggages and stroll around. Would you please suggest a convenient location? Do you know whether any luggage size limitation applies?



I truly appreciate your feedback.





Thanks a lot!




|||



You can store your luggage at Copenhagen Central Station. The are both lockers and a manned cloakroom, so should not be a problem with size.





Hans




|||



Hans,



Thanks a lot! Any idea about the price for the %26quot;manned cloakroom%26quot;?




|||



I was interested to read the opinions on here because I%26#39;ve been to Copenhagen and went to Tivoli gardens and didn%26#39;t think it was really worth it.





I mean, I didn%26#39;t go at night or in winter time (for the christmas market) but while the gardens are beautiful, it is quite a price to pay to enter and then find all the rides are extra on top.





I personally think that seeing other things like Rosenborg Castle for example are more worthwhile. Good thing I did find is that Copenhagen is very accesible and quite easy to move around on foot. Just my opinion there but perhaps it is best to give Tivoli a try so you can form your own opinion of it. Definitely isn%26#39;t like Disney land I can say though.

No comments:

Post a Comment