Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Inexpensive Smorrebrod?

Can anyone could recommend a good and inexpensive place to try smorrebrod near Tivoli (but not inside)? A food court or take out type place is even better, because I%26#39;d like to make it a quick lunch. For a more specific budget, how about under 60 DKK...





I did search, but I didn%26#39;t see any places that were near where I will be or within my budget, but I could have missed something.





Thanks,





PolarBear




|||



Hmm, this is a tough one. There is a take-out place very close to Tivoli on Vesterbrogade - right in front of the central train station, next to the SAS Royal. However, I have read some bad reviews about the place but haven%26#39;t tried it myself. You could perhaps stop by and have a look at the window display and judge for yourself?





Also, in the area is Ritz smørrebrød on vester voldgade 8, right by Rådhuspladsen. Haven%26#39;t had first hand experience at that one either since they always seem to be closed when I am around, but have heard that it is quite ok and prices are reasonable.





The best place to get take out smørrebrød in CPH is hands down Aamands on Østre Farimagsgade. This is nowhere near Tivoli, but if you happen to be in the area (e.g to see the SMK art museum, the lakes or Østerbro)this is an absolute must. Smørrebrød and service is excellent, prices in the 40-50dkk range. Had take out from there myself today and it was very, very delicious, decorative and nicely packed. Not much help for you if you need to be near Tivoli, though.





Perhaps someone has first hand knowledge of the other two places?




|||



Dear Polarbear,





You really have not tried smørrebrød if you get cheap stuff for take out, it%26#39;s just not the same sitting somewhere with food that%26#39;s inferior on a paper plate messing with a plastic knife and fork.





Part of the experience is to visit one of the nice older places like Told og Snaps, Huset med det Grønne Træ, Tivolihallen (close to Tivoli and a wonderful place)





Even a place like Grøften in Tivoli is part of the magic.




|||



Hi mytravelquestion,





Thanks for your suggestions, that%26#39;s exactly what I was looking for. One place I%26#39;d found near





the station was called Bon Appetit, not sure if that is the one you mentioned on Vesterbrogade.





I will be closer to Aamands later in the day and had wanted to go there based on good reviews I%26#39;ve seen, but the issue is that I%26#39;m in Copenhagen for a very short time, and around lunch I will be arriving from the airport, heading towards my accommodations near Tivoli.







Hi Andreadoria56,





I%26#39;m in Copenhagen a very short time, less than 24 hours on a stopover. I feel it is a more effective use of my time to just try smorrebrod quickly so I can spend more of my afternoon visiting attractions with limited hours. I%26#39;m not looking for the full experience this time.







Thanks,





PolarBear




|||



Hello again,





I know where Bon Appetit is located, but I thought it was more of a sandwich place, so had not thought of the place for smørrebrød. If they do indeed have smørrebrød this might be a good option for you. The one I thought of is on the opposite side of Vesterbrogade and a bit closer to Rådhuspladsen, next to a pharmacy and the SAS Royal. I walked past it the other day and it really did not look too exciting. Ritz on Vester Voldgade is just an additional 4 minute walk from there and it might well be worth the extra effort if Bon Appetit does not have smørrebrød.





Enjoy CPH

No comments:

Post a Comment