Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A week in Scandinavia

Hi, We are trying to decide whether to fly to Iceland and add either Copenhagen or Stockholm, or divide the trip between Copenhagen and stokholm and skip Iceland. We have a week and are going mid August. Thanks for any help.




|||



I would definately go to Iceland - absolutely, and also Copenhagen - and leave out Stockholm.



Actually Iceland and Denmark share common history, as Iceland was under danish government till about 1910. They still learn danish in their schools as 2. or 3. language.



Iceland is such a special place, I cannot even tell You how great it is - there a so much to say, so Yuo just have to do some research Yourself.



Copenhagen offcourse is a lot more exciting and interesting than Stockholm.




|||



Thank you for your comments. I tend to agree, especially since we have been trying to get to Iceland for years.




|||



Without emoticons on this forum, difficult to tell whether JensenDK%26#39;s last comment is dead serious or tongue-in-cheek, but JensenDK%26#39;s location might just have a bit to do with the comment... That being said, I think Copenhagen is a great city (having been there hundreds of times, how could I not...?), but Stockholm certainly has its charms, and with all its little islands is undoubtedly one of the more beautiful capitals in Europe. Tough choice...




|||



Hawaiipalms - I am absolutely dead-serious, no doubt about it. I must admit though, that I%26#39;m probably a bit colored by my danish background ;) But offcourse when a question like this is asked on the Copenhagen forum, most poeple would vote in favour for Copenhagen....



I Would expect the same if I asked on the Stockholm-forum...



However I%26#39;m not a salesrep, it makes no personal difference to me whether poeple go one place or another, therefore I consider my opinion to be pretty optical based, but as mentioned, probably a bit colored.




|||



I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;re correct - a post in the Sweden forum would probably attract a similar, somewhat biased, response... Personally, I think rholev will have a great time - in Copenhagen OR in Stockholm!





M V H




|||



Thanks so much for all your help. We actually booked on Iceland air and will be going to Copenhagen. hope to visit sweden on our next trip.




|||



Iceland is something you don%26#39;t see elsewhere. It is also rather near to New York, so I would not skip that. CPH vs STO, I%26#39;d pick up CPH. STO has a truly magnificient archipelago, but in order to best experience it, you need a boat. (Overnight trip to Finland eg). The city of Stockholm itself is pretty dull.





As an alternative to CPH and STO, you could also consider Oslo or Helsinki, both more %26#39;exotic%26#39;. Illulissat on Greenland would also be great, but don%26#39;t know how the flights are available from/to Reykjavik or NY.




|||



Hey Polarfin, I enjoy your advice on Copenhagen in general and agree with much in your post above, but Oslo being %26#39;exotic%26#39;? You will need to explain that to me :-) I may be thick-headed. To me, Oslo is pretty much the least exotic city in Europe. The weather, the concrete streets, the lack of good food - but of course, the price for a beer is pretty %26#39;exotic%26#39; :-)




|||



Copenhagen is a must do place if you not been here before.




|||



Rephrase, Oslo is different than other European capitals. Yes, prices are somewhat higher than in Copenhagen. Dull? I find Stockholm a lot duller than Oslo.

No comments:

Post a Comment