Wednesday, April 25, 2012

www.bikecopenhagenwithmike.dk

Just returned from a weekend in Copenhagen. In a previous tour of Berlin I did and excellent bike tour of the city so was keen to repeat this in Copenhagen. Scoured the net and plumped for http://www.bikecopenhagenwithmike.dk/





Turned up for 10 am on Monday morning (literally 50 yards from the main station). It was a gorgeous day and on this occasion I was the only person! Don%26#39;t take this as a negative - I%26#39;m not Mike%26#39;s only ever customer! (That%26#39;s what he tells me anyway!) There are a host of testimonials and from many others too - he had over 20 on the tour the previous day! My single attendance was no bother to Mike who duly completed the tour with me. It was a fantastic 4 hours (in the end after my early puncture! This required a trip back to base and a few laughs on the way!) Mike speaks perfect English and we meandered our way round all the sights of Copenhagen stopping for him to give entertaining anecdotes and a personal view of life from a Danish perspective. We discussed everything from football, to Danish people, the royal family, football, swedish women, football and also a bit of culture (no honestly, we did!)





Like many European cities Copenhagen is built to cater for the cyclist. It%26#39;s pretty much all cycle-laned off, very flat (yesss!) and very safe - all very important for non-regular cyclists like myself! We saw numerous lovely sights (see website) - we even went off the beaten track to see the last resting place of Denmark%26#39;s favorite fairy taler H.C.A) and had a great philosophy debate on the meaning of life! Very enlightening Mike - really enjoyed that. Highlights included the feeling of the sun and wind in your face as we cruised alongside the many lakes and canals. It was liberating, relaxing and exhilerating all at the same time and made me question my office job! Remember I am not a cyclist so this does not require super-fit people to do this. It was the highlight of my weekend - I spent about 6 hours walking around the previous day and saw about 1/10th as much of the city as I did on the cycle tour. In summary - get in there and try it - you will not regret it - Danes have a great sense of humour - this one does anyway! We had some good banter as the English were blamed for Denmarks demise in the 1800s (tour price goes up!) then praised for bailing them in World War II (tour price reduced again!)





Thanks Mike for a memorable 4 hours - nothing was too much trouble (I caused him enough with my puncture and my coat and drink gear constantly falling off my bike rack!) but he took it all in the right spirit and much fun had all the way. Can%26#39;t recommend it enough - it%26#39;s not often you see a Danish man with orange glasses! Get down there all, take the mickey out of a mad Dane and take in all the sights of Copenhagen while getting a great suntan - I%26#39;m burning up right now! Would be great to see a post from anyone else who has done the tour to compare notes...





Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment